St David's College
Artist: John Buckler
Medium: Pencil on paper
St David's has been a "city" of ecclesiastical importance for over 1000 years. St David, the patron saint of Wales, lived here in the sixth century and died around 589. Building of the cathedral began in 1176 and in 1377 John of Gaunt founded St Mary's College, to where secular priests from all around the country would be sent to continue their theological studies.
Cloisters joined the college to the cathedral but they were never completed and the building fell into further disrepair during the 16th century. The college has now been fully restored.