Sycamore and Ash, view across the Moat, Landwade, May 18th1848
View from inside the moat at Landwade Hall on the border between Cambridgeshire and Suffolk. It shows sycamore and ash trees and to the right is St Nicholas's Church, which was built in c.1445 as a private chapel for the Cotton family, lords of the manor. The moat was fed by the New River, which comes from Exning, through the estate, and eventually meets up with the River Cam. The manor house was rebuilt in the early 16th century, still within the moated site. It represented the centre of the estate and just outside of the moat were some important manorial buildings: the church, the lord's barn, and the mill. However when John Chessel Buckler was employed to redesign the house in c. 1848, it was decided to abandon the moated site and build to the south west of the moat.