South East View of the Ruins of Godstow Abbey May 31st 1849
Artist: Charles Alban Buckler
View of a ruined building at Godstow Abbey in Oxfordshire. This was founded as a Benedictine nunnery in c.1133. After its dissolution in 1539 it was sold the King's physician George Owen, who converted the some of the buildings into Godstow House, which was lived until 1645. It was severely damaged in the Civil War and afterwards left as a ruin. As time passed the complex was demolished to provide the stone for new buildings. The church in particular was demolished by 1660, apart from its tower which fell in the late 18th century.