St Mary''s Rectory, Newington, Surrey
Artist: Buckler, John Chessell
This watercolour is of the gabled rectory of St Mary's church in Newington, Surrey.
The parish of Newington emerged next to the village of Walworth, now part of present day Southwark in south London. The site of St Mary's church originated in the 13th Century. Roger de Sussex was its first priest, serving the parish from 1212 until 1270. The church was rebuilt four times in succession over the next 650 years and was eventually bombed during the blitz of 1941. The present building dates from 1958. St Mary's rectory, which is the subject of this picture, was built by the then rector Roger de Santo Albano. The premises was encircled by a moat that often flooded. The rectory was eventually replaced with a new building found at the present site of the church.