St David's Cathedral, Pembrokeshire
Artist: Buckler, John Chessell
This watercolour depicts St David's cathedral, as seen from the valley of the River Alun. The cathedral lies on the site of a former monastery where its founder, David or "Dewi", lived and worked. David insisted that the monks follow a simple vegetarian diet, a practice which continued for four hundred years after his death. The nave of the existing cathedral possesses a fine Irish oak ceiling and is one of the earliest sections of the building. The tower seen in this picture, is 116 feet tall and made of purple sandstone. The cathedral has survived various setbacks, such as an earthquake in 1247 and vandalism by puritans in the 17th century.