St Ippollitts, Hertfordshire
Artist: Buckler, William Albert
This watercolour is of a view from inside St Ippollitts church, showing details such as an elegant timber rood screen and broad, heavy archways. The church is dedicated to the patron saint of horses, St Hippolytus, who was an important theologian in third century Rome. Originally built in1087, St Ippollitts endured a number of alterations, particularly in 1878. The church and village share the same name, which has been spelt in an unusually large number of ways, such as Ippolyts, Hippolits, Epolites and Ippoplitts!