Sleaford Market Place, Lincolnshire
Artist: Buckler, John
This watercolour is a view of Sleaford market place.
The town, situated on the western fringes of the Lincolnshire fens, thrived during the 18th and 19th centuries. The site of the market place originated in the early 12th Century. The church of St. Denis, seen at the centre of the picture, was begun in 1180. Its broad broach-spire, constructed of Ancaster stone, was one of the earliest of its type in the country. The watercolour, dated 1800, was based on an earlier work by Joseph Mallord William Turner, who had at that time completed a tour of the British Isles.