The Hall at Raby Castle
Artist: Grimm, Samuel Hieronymous
Medium: Pen and ink on paper
Drawing of the inside of the hall of Raby Castle in County Durham. This shows how it looked in the late 18th century. The Baron's Hall was so called because here several hundred barons meet to support the 'Rising of the North' in favour of Mary Queen of Scots. Most of the castle dates from the 14th century, when it was built for the Neville family and intended to be their ancestral seat. However, after they lost their estates in 1569 it passed to new owners. By the 18th century it was owned by the Vane family made substantial alterations. The floor of the Baron's Hall was raised by architect John Car in 1782-4 and another architect William Burn, between 1843-9, blocked several windows, replaced the medieval roof and cut the minstrel's gallery in half.