The earthworks between Cadbury Camp and Clevedon
Artist: Grimm, Samuel Hieronymus
Medium: Ink wash on paper
A view in ink of the ''beginning of the earthwork between Cuthbury (Cadbury) Camp and Mr Abraham Elton's summer-house'' at Clevedon in Somerset. Sir Abraham Elton was a wealthy Bristol merchant and public figure who had purchased Clevedon Court in 1709 as a family home.
Cadbury Camp is a prehistoric hillfort inhabited at various times as a place of defence against the Romans, Anglo-Saxons and later the Vikings. The circular camp, lying above the road to Clevedon, measures 300 yards across and consists of two banks and a ditch. There are other earthworks nearby such as Woodhill Camp and on Walton Castle Hill.