The Old White Chapel in the North, at Cleckheaton, f. 98
Artist: Grimm, Samuel Hieronymus
Medium: Ink wash on paper
Drawing of an east window in the chapel of ease, belonging to the small village of Cleckheaton in the parish of Birstall, Yorkshire. By the 18th century this medieval chapel was known as Old White Chapel in the North. Langdale's Topographical Dictionary of Yorkshire (1822) notes that this "ancient edifice" has recently been rebuilt and that the present chapel had retained the name of "White Chapel".
A chapel of ease is a chapel or dependent church built to accommodate an increasing parish, or for parishioners who live at a distance from the principal church.