The Bridge at Barnstaple, 1827
Medium: Pencil on paper
Barnstaple, the largest town in north Devon, stands on the River Taw. The bridge, with its 16-arch span, originally dates back to the 14th century when it was built to carry packhorses and measured only nine feet in width. Over its 600 year history it has been altered and widened many times to cope with ever-increasing traffic.