The gateway at Gwydir Castle
Artist: Buckler, John
Medium: Pencil on paper
Gwydir Castle in Wales stands near the ancient town Llanrwst, on the edge of the flood-plain of the River Conwy. Because of its fertile land, control of the Conwy Valley was bitterly contested for hundreds of years, and this castle was destroyed, rebuilt and strengthened many times.
The building in this view dates mostly from the 16th century. Meredith ap Ieuan began reconstructing the mostly ruined castle in 1500. His son John Wynn ap Meredith enlarged the building using masonry from nearby Maenan Abbey, which had been partially demolished in 1538 after Henry VIII's dissolution of monastic houses. Wynn's initials appear above this gatehouse, on the courtyard side, along with the year of its construction, 1555. The castle remained in the Wynn family until the 19th century.