The Tower Gateway at St David's
Artist: John Buckler
Medium: Pencil on paper
In medieval times St David's, the westernmost town in Wales, was a "city" of great ecclesiastical importance despite its geographical isolation. The cathedral was built in 1176 on the site of St David's monastery and it is possibly the most curiously situated of all the country's cathedrals or churches. It stands in a deep dell so that only the top of the tower is visible from the village. The cathedral close is approached by descending 39 steps, symbolic of the 39 Articles of the Church of England.
The entrance to the cathedral close is this 60 ft towered gateway. It is the only one remaining of four originally built. Over the cathedral's 900 year history, the church and its surrounding buildings have suffered damage from vandals, thieves, military sieges and earthquakes!