The Bailiff's Cottage, Landwade, May 22nd 1848
View of a cottage belonging to the Bailiff at Landwade. Landwade was a manor and parish situated on the border between Cambridgeshire and Suffolk and about 4 miles north of Newmarket. John Chessel Buckler was involved as an architect in designing a new Hall for the Cotton family, Lords of the Manor of Landwade. It is likely the new house was being built when he painted scenes of the area in April and May 1848. The bailiff's house was part of the manorial estate of Landwade. It was plain thatched and as this picture shows it lay near a stone barn. The stone barn lay east of Landwade church and south of the moat. However both buildings were demolished by 1885.