The Old Barn with the Chapel and Hall, Landwade, May 24th 1848
View of an old barn in Landwade, on the Suffolk/ Cambridgeshire border. This was on the manorial estate of Landwade which was owned by the Cotton family. John Chessel Buckler was involved in redesigning the old manor house which brought him to the area in April and May 1848, when he made several views here. This stone barn lay to the east of the church and south of the moat. It is buttressed and has a two storied dovecote. To the right is the Bailiff's thatched cottage. Behind that is Landwade Hall - a red brick building- built in the early 16th century on the moated site. To the far left is St Nicholas's Church, the burial place of many of the Cotton family.