The Royal Exchange And Environs, London, c.1830
Artist: Scharf, George senior
Medium: Pencil on paper
This drawing depicts the locality of the Royal Exchange in 1830. The classical facade of the Exchange can be seen on the left.
Records indicate that the first Exchange buildings were erected on the site of Threadneedle Street and Cornhill in 1566. Thomas Harrison's building, subject of this drawing, was rebuilt after a fire in 1838. The fire was believed to have started in the Lloyds Rooms occupying the main part of the property. The new Royal Exchange, designed by Sir William Tite, was opened by Queen Victoria in October 1844.