The Old King''s Mews, London, 1832
Artist: Scharf, George senior
Medium: Pencil on paper
This drawing depicts the Old King's Mews at Trafalgar Square in London.
The building was designed and built by William Kent in 1731, and in the years before demolition housed the odd combination of a public records repository and a Menagerie!
Old King's Mews lay on the site that is now home to the National Gallery. The architect William Wilkins looked closely at the structure of the Mews and based some of its features on the present gallery building. The National Gallery was originally housed in a private town house on Pall Mall. This premises was woefully inadequate, especially when it was compared to the palatial Louvre museum in Paris. Trafalgar Square was an ideal location for the new gallery as it could be easily reached by the wealthy in the west end and the poor in the east.