The Gallery of Practical Science, London, 1832
Artist: Scharf, George senior
This unusual watercolour depicts the roof of the Gallery of Practical Science, close to Trafalgar Square in Adelaide Street.
The gallery, commonly known as "Adelaide Gallery", was an important venue for scientific discussions and lectures in Victorian London. The Long Room, pictured here, was built with the aim to "blend instruction with amusement". The gallery also promoted "the astonishing powers of electricity with the wonders of optical illustration". Antoine Claudet's photographic studio was based here, and early demonstrations of daguerreotype were performed at the site in September 1839.