Tottenham Court Road Chapel, London, 1831
Artist: Scharf, George senior
Medium: Pencil on paper
This pencil drawing depicts the chapel and surrounding buildings found in Tottenham Court Road, London.
Tottenham Court Road exists today as one of the major link roads between the west end and North London. However, in the 1600's this area was a narrow meadow fringed with hawthorn bushes. The wide thoroughfare was constructed between 1771 and 1800 and became the notorious location for London's prize fighters. The area was a centre for the furniture trade during the 19th century, although it is now known for its electrical goods retailers. The site suffered heavy bombing during the second world war, hence the collection of modern buildings found along the street.