Thetford Priory, gatehouse
Artist: Blore, Edward
Medium: Pencil and ink on paper
This pencil drawing is of the Gatehouse to Thetford Priory in Norfolk.
The Cluniac priory was founded by Roger Bigod, Earl of Norfolk, in 1107. Little survives of the monastic complex, which was disbanded following the Dissolution of the Monasteries in 1540. The 14th century Gatehouse is one of the best preserved buildings on the site, missing only its roof and parapets. The entrance arch is wide and is flanked by two large polygonal turrets. The facade is made from cut flint with stone dressing.