The Guildhall at Lavenham
Artist: Blore, Edward
Medium: Pencil on paper
This drawing depicts the Guildhall at Lavenham in Suffolk.
This superb building was erected following the foundation of the Guild of Corpus Christi in 1529. It is one of many fine examples of English vernacular architecture to be found at Lavenham, a once prosperous centre for the wool trade. The town originally boasted three guildhalls, in which traditional miracle plays and pageants were performed. Of particular interest is of the finely executed pargetting that can still be found on some of the house facades.