The South Prospect of Kirk Leatham Hall
Artist: Buck, Samuel
Medium: Pen and ink on paper
Sketch of one half of the south façade of Kirkleatham Free School (now the Old Hall Museum) at Kirkleatham. Kirkleatham is a village at the mouth of the River Tees, three miles south of Redcar. This school was endowed by local landowner and former Lord Mayor of London, Sir William Turner. He bequeathed £5,000 to his great nephew Choimley Turner to establish a free school. It was built in 1709 in the grand Baroque style, to a design by an unknown architect. Sir William Turner, who was a great philanthropist, also founded the local hospital and some generously built almshouses.