View of Kilarrow village on Islay
Artist: Miller, John Frederick
Sketched view in the town of Killaru (Kilarrow) on the Island of Ila, drawn by James Miller in 1772. The entire population of the village of Kilarrow was moved to the new planned village of Bowmore in the mid 18th century as part of the then Laird's plans for the grounds of Islay house (Bridgend). Bowmore, located by Loch Indaal, was given a grid plan and better quality housing, which encouraged people to settle here. Today this place is in the grounds of Islay House and nothing remains of the village of Kilarrow apart from the churchyard.