View in the town of Killaru on the Island of Ila
Artist: Cleveley, John junior
View in watercolour of the village of Kilarrow (Killaru) on Islay in the Hebridies. The entire population of the village of Kilarrow was moved to the new planned village of Bowmore in the mid 18th century as part of the then Laird's plans for the grounds of Islay house (Bridgend). Bowmore is village on the east shore of Loch Indaal on Islay. It was planned and developed in 1768 by Daniel Campbell II of Shawfield and Islay. The improvements included a grid plan and better quality housing. Stone and lime houses with slate roofs and chimneys replaced the traditional thatched cottages. This encouraged inhabitants of the old settlement of Kilarrow to move here. By the 1790s, there were at least 500 inhabitants living in new houses. Nothing remains of the village of Kilarrow apart from the churchyard.