Welbeck Abbey f.64
Artist: Grimm, Samuel Hieronymus
Medium: Ink on paper
The estate of Welbeck Abbey, the seat of the Duke of Portland, encloses 3000 acres and has the mansion at its centre. The abbey was founded in 1153-54 but very little of the original structure survives. When the monasteries were closed down by Henry VIII in 1539, the estate passed into private ownership and over the next two or three centuries was extensively remodelled and relandscaped.
Today, apart from a small number of rooms which still belong to the family, the abbey is beautifully maintained as an Army College.