Artist: Grimm, Samuel Hieronymus
Medium: Ink on paper
The original Manor house, belonging to the Earls of Shrewsbury and later to the Dukes of Norfolk, burned down in 1761. Rebuilding began in earnest by the architect James Paine and it was to be the largest country house commission since Blenheim Palace. In 1767, the Duke's heir died and enthusiasm for the project from the Duchess waned and building ceased.
Today very little remains. In 1839 the Duke of Newcastle bought the estate and pulled down the wing built by Paine.