Wroxton Abbey, park
Artist: Grimm, Samuel Hieronymus
Medium: Ink wash on paper
Wroxton Abbey was originally a 13th-century Augustinian priory. A house built by Sir William Pope in the 17th century incorporated the remains of the monastic buildings. The park and formal gardens were designed between 1720 and 1748 and included a lake and cascade and Chinese-style temples. Sadly, most of these features have disappeared and the estate is now a college for an American university.