Wigmore Castle f.26
Artist: Blore, Edward
Medium: Pencil on paper
William Fitzosbern built the first castle on this site, probably of earth and timber, sometime before 1075. It was then taken over by the Mortimer family who held the castle for the next 400 years. The Mortimers were Marcher Lords, a nobleman class established by the the Norman kings to defend their rule over the Welsh borders, or the Marches as the boundaries were also known.
By the time Blore visited here, Wigmore Castle had become a sprawl of imposing ruins which still leaves its atmospheric mark on the landscape today.