Cartographer: Rogers, John
Medium: Ink and tempera on parchment
This is a plan of a five bastion fort at Ambleteuse. It dates from 1546 and is by the military engineer John Rogers. Trained as a mason, probably at Hampton Court, Rogers worked for Henry VIII making plans and designs for the improvement of royal buildings and defence fortifications. The decision to fortify the inlet at Ambleteuse was partly to halt any French attempt to land troops there and also to provide an alternative harbour that was not overlooked by enemy fire. This plan is a similar copy of a plan sent by the king to Ambleteuse, which also showed a radially-planned fort with five bastions. It was doubted that the ground would allow the construction of so many bastions and instead four were suggested ‘the lieu more propice to fortify with four bulwarks than with five’. However, the fort was eventually built with five, only to be taken by the French in 1549.