A Plan of the Harbour of Ambletuse, shewing a project for a triangular fort [inserted at a later time?]; drawn by John Rogers [in 1546], "the ynche conteyneth ii c fote
Cartographer: Rogers, John
Medium: Ink on vellum
This is a fortification map of the newly conquered Ambelteuse dating from April 1546. The draughtsman, John Rogers, was a military engineer who trained as a mason, probably at Hampton Court. He worked for Henry VIII making plans and designs for the improvement of royal buildings and defence fortifications. Roger’s monogram appears in the lower right hand corner. The decision to fortify the inlet at Ambleteuse was partly to halt any French attempt to land troops there and also to provide an alternative harbour which was not overlooked by enemy fire. The Earl of Hertford, who was the King’s ‘lieutenant in parts beyond the sea’ travelled to Ambelteuse to oversee the work and with him went John Rogers, Sir Richard Lee and Sir Thomas Wyatt. Henry VIII wished the fortress to have five bastions, however it was a matter of debate as to whether the ground would take such a weight. This plan of the fort with only four reflects this debate.