Barony of Longford, Waterford, Ireland
Medium: Ink and tempera on parchment
This map shows the Barony of Longford in Ireland. It dates from 1629, the time of the English plantation scheme. This scheme aimed to establish an English colony in Ulster by confiscating land from the native Irish. The land was allocated to English and Scottish settlers and to Irish Protestants. However, the principal landlords had difficulty finding enough tenants and the financial viability of the plantation project was questioned. This problem was resolved as twelve London Companies were persuaded to invest in the land. The walled city of Londonderry and place names such as Draperstown are testimony to the English Companies involvement in the scheme. The Barony of Longford lies outside the province of Ulster, the initial plantation area. The reason for this extension of the plantation was to find extra land so that Lord Chichester could reward his military allies and fellow captains from the Nine Years’ War with land and status in Ireland, in recognition of the service that they had done to the Crown. In order to accomplish this Wexford, Longford, Leitrim, West Meath, and Upper Ossary, were confiscated and redistributed. This map shows the Barony subdivided into named plots.
The buildings of Longford Abbey are represented, as are other ecclesiastical buildings in the area.