BRITANNIA INSULA QUAE DUO REGNA CONTINET ANGLIAM ET SCOTIAM CUM HIBERNIA ADIACENTE
Cartographer: Lily, George
This map of the British Isles is a new (copperplate) engraving dating from 1556 following George Lily’s 1546 map. Unlike the original, it is orientated with north to the top. This map, like the original, was published in Rome, where Lily was an English Catholic exile at the Papal court. A large tablet to the right contains a description of ‘Britannia’. Neither the engraver or publisher are known, but the insignia ‘IHS’ appears in a box in the lower right hand corner. Degrees of longitude and latitude are marked along the borders. The scale bar which appeared in Lily’s original and its direct copies has been removed. Lily’s map was significant as it was the first separately-printed map of the whole of the British Isles. It includes many more place names and distinct topographical features and Scotland is depicted remarkably accurately.