Cartographer: Luckas, John
Medium: Ink and pigments on vellum
This is a map of Dover, dating from around 1575-76. In 1576 the navigator and Comptroller of the Navy, William Borough was appointed by Sir Francis Walsingham to report on the state of the harbour, which was commonly known to be in poor condition. Proposals for its repair and remodelling were submitted.
This map of Dover is likely to be by John Luckas as it is known from contemporary documents that Luckas drew a ‘plat with a sluice’. (Is sluice shown here?)
The draughtsmanship is very fine and much detail is included. The town of Dover is depicted with houses and churches shown individually. The towers, ramparts and internal structures of the castle are carefully rendered. The harbour is protected by a robust round tower on either side of the harbour entrance with cannons placed at intervals and a chain stretched between them. Ships in the harbour are depicted with great care and fly English flags.