Map of Gunton, Suffolk
Medium: Ink on vellum
This map of Lowestofe and Gunton in Suffolk dates from 1579-80. It was drawn for use in a case between John Hoo, tenant of Lowestoft manor, and Robert Wroote, owner of the manor of Gunton Denes. Gunton Denes can be seen below the centre of the map and is an area of flat land at the foot of the cliffs, accessed by paths called scores. To the right the villages of Newton, Hopton and Gorleston are shown in disproportionate proximity to one another. The map is drawn in the detailed pictorial style common to Tudor maps. Individual buildings are drawn with reference to particular architectural features, such as turrets and stepped gable ends, which do not necessarily reflect reality. Topographical features are shaded to give the effect of a south light. The scale of the map is irregular, with Gunton depicted at a scale of approximately 9 inches to1 mile and the rest of the area shown at a much smaller scale. A number of annotations, some of which have been later erased, have been made in lighter ink by a second hand in secretary style in or around Gunton Denes and, in addition, the north and south boundaries of Gunton Denes have been roughly marked in, probably by the same hand.
Between Lowestoft (Laystofe) and Gunton the beacon is prominent, a feature common to coastal regions who would be first to raise the alarm in the case of an enemy approach by sea.