The Town and Harbour of Calais
Cartographer: [Lee, Richard ]
Medium: Ink and tempera on parchment
This is a view of the town and harbour of Calais. It dates from around 1535-40 and shows proposals for additional fortification of the town. At this time Richard Lee was surveyor of the works at Calais and it is likely that he is the author of this view. Works at Calais were necessary after the publication in December 1538 of a papal bull excommunicating Henry VIII, after his divorce of the catholic Catherine of Aragon made English outposts vulnerable. A new commission was subsequently appointed to review the defences of Calais so that they could withstand gun fire. The strengthening of the Rysebank fort comprised a significant part of the defence program. Two towers were added, one round and one D-shaped. In this drawing the D shaped tower can be seen to the right of the structure. Two jetties are also shown here, these were to provide additional protection for the harbour.
The depiction of the sea in pale pink is a feature of a plan of Dover which is also linked to Lee.