The Glorious Exhibition part 02
Composer: Park, Andrew
The Great Exhibition was held in 1851; the enormous glass building to accommodate all the exhibits was designed by Joseph Paxton. The building, seen in the background of this illustration, with a volume of 33 million cubic feet was six times the size of St Paul's Cathedral, had 10,000 windows and 20 acres of walkways and galleries. British technical achievements were celebrated throughout the colonies and thus it was important that the exhibition represented the whole Empire. People travelled from all over the world to look at the exhibition and it was seen as a huge success, symbolising the industrial, technological and economic superiority of Great Britain.