The British Library Homepage
homeHome  >   Online Gallery  >   Online exhibitions  >   Features  >   Record players  >   The Gramophone Co. trademark gramophone, 1898
 
print

The Gramophone Co. trademark gramophone, 1898: details and images

Back Back to flash version

1.

The Gramophone Co. trademark gramophone, 1898 - the angel trademark The Angel trademark. This is a water transfer applied to the cabinet work of the gramophone and, in a play on words, represents the Recording Angel. The image was created in the 1890s by Theodore Birnbaum. The cherub depicted is engraving, not the deeds of mankind as the Biblical recording angel would, but the grooves of a gramophone record.

2.

The Gramophone Co. trademark gramophone, 1898 - transducer or pickup head The transducer or pickup head. This is simply a membrane tightly held in the circular housing. This membrane is connected by a thread directly to the stylus. The vibrations of the stylus in the groove are transmitted to the membrane, which moves in sympathy with the stylus and causes the air to vibrate.

3.

The Gramophone Co. trademark gramophone, 1898 - external motor housing The external motor housing. A clockwork motor is wound using the handle visible in the picture. When fully wound the machine will play at 78 rpm for three or four minutes. The adjacent small knob is for fine speed adjustment by controlling an internal regulator.

4.

The Gramophone Co. trademark gramophone, 1898 - brake mechanism The brake mechanism of the Trademark gramophone. The lever moves left to right and pressure is applied to the edge of the turntable by the felt pad.

5.

The Gramophone Co. trademark gramophone, 1898 - attachment of the horn to the transducer The point of attachment of the horn to the transducer. The air vibrations caused by the movement of the membrane in the pickup head are fed through the leather corner-piece to the horn and then amplified acoustically by the horn and thus the sound of the record is heard.

  The Gramophone Co. trademark gramophone, 1898 - manufacturer's trademark The manufacturer's trademark. The Gramophone Company was established in London in 1898, and the name His Master's Voice was used from 1908 along with the famous painting of the dog Nipper listening to a gramophone.

Rotations and views

A selection of views from the interactive rotations, to view the whole set of rotation images you can download gramophone.zip (10.6MB) which contains all 36 images.

The Gramophone Co. trademark gramophone, 1898
The Gramophone Co. trademark gramophone, 1898
The Gramophone Co. trademark gramophone, 1898
The Gramophone Co. trademark gramophone, 1898
The Gramophone Co. trademark gramophone, 1898
The Gramophone Co. trademark gramophone, 1898

 
 

Other key artefacts:

Kammer und Reinhardt toy gramophone, 1890 Kammer & Reinhardt toy gramophone, 1890s
Bing 'Pigmyphone' toy gramophone, 1920s Bing 'Pigmyphone' toy gramophone, 1920s
Colibri portable gramophone, 1929 Colibri portable gramophone, 1929
Guiniphone portable gramophone, 1929 Guiniphone portable gramophone, 1929
EMG XA Gramophone, 1931 EMG XA gramophone, 1931
Thorens 'Excelda' portable gramophone, 1932 Thorens 'Excelda' portable gramophone, 1932
RCA Victor QEY 4 autochange record player, 1948 RCA Victor QEY 4 autochange record player, 1948
HMV record player, 1950s HMV record player, 1950s
Minifon portable wire recorder, 1950s Minifon portable wire recorder, 1950s
Pye 1005 'Achiphon' stereo record player, 1960s Pye 1005 'Achiphon' stereo record player, 1960s
Dansette 'Viva' record player, 1965 Dansette 'Viva' record player, 1965
Sony stereo cassette deck, 1974 Sony stereo cassette deck, 1974
 
 
 
 

Tell me more

 

ARCHIVAL SOUND RECORDINGS

Online Shop: Buy a book on the Bedford Hours from us Explore 12000 recordings
 

SOUND ARCHIVE

Online Shop: Buy a book on the Bedford Hours from us Search over 3.5 million recordings
 
   
These links may take you to another part of our website. To return to this page, use the back button in your browser and/or close any new windows.  

Funded by the
JISC

Accessibility Terms of use Site map
Copyright The British Library Board