- What content is available through this service?
- What content is excluded from this service?
- How much will my document cost?
- Can I order book chapters?
- How do I pay for my document?
- How do I order a document?
- Can I order documents through my Library Management System?
- Is there a minimum order?
- How is my document delivered?
- How quickly will my HESS document be delivered?
- In what format will I receive my document?
- Does the service include cover sheets?
- Will I have access to my HESS document for 14 days, as with Secure Electronic Delivery?
- Do I need to record documents ordered through this service on my Digital Copy Record Form?
- Are documents where I have paid a copyright fee watermarked?
What content is available through this service?
All materials covered by the CLA HE Photocopying and Trial Scanning Licence can be supplied through this service. A list of excluded categories of content and excluded publishers can be found on the CLA website. Please also note that we are unable to supply content from a small number of publishers through this service (see below).
You can order materials that you own in your library and materials that you do not currently own (a copyright fee is payable on non-collection items. See below for details).
There are two types of content that we cannot deliver through this service.
- CLA Excluded Content - CLA licences do not authorise photocopying or scanning from some general categories of published works as well as some specific publishers and works themselves. For a full list of this content, see the CLA website.
- Content that we currently hold in electronic form only – as our license permits us to deliver content from our paper based stocks only, we cannot currently deliver content from the small number of publishers that we currently receive in electronic form only. A full list of this content is available for download here. Please note that content published prior to 1996 is currently available from these publishers and that more current content will be available in the future.
There are three separate pricing elements to each document that you order through the HESS service. A £8.95 service charge and VAT will be applied to all orders and a copyright fee, specified by the publisher of the material, will be charged on material that is not owned by your institution.
If you need your document urgently, 2 hour guaranteed response (£25.00) and a 24 hour guaranteed response (£16.00) services are available.
Can I order book chapters?
Yes. You can order one complete book chapter per course and a standard copyright fee of £12 will be charged on all orders.
Your order will be charged to your British Library account. If you do not currently have an account or would like to open a separate account, specifically for HESS orders, please contact our Customer Services team.
Once you have registered, you can order an HESS documents through our ARTTel and ARTEmail services. All you need to do is insert one of the three new Message Keyword Codes: PTW (Standard Service), PTW*24* (24 hour) and PTW*2* (2 hour) into the Message Keyword Code field. This is also the field where you need to tell us whether a copyright fee needs to be charged. You do this by entering the term (copyrt) in the Message Keyword Code field (if this term is not entered no copyright fee will be charged). An example of an Artemail request utilizing these terms (shown in bold) is shown below. Please note if you have not registered for this service and try to place an order using the PTW codes, your order will be failed.
Construction of a standard HESS Artemail request.
TX (COPYRT) PTW*24*
On binary signed digit representations of integers Ebeid, N. Hasan, M. A.
Springer Science Business Media
If you use our number suppression service or generate requests through a third party interface,
please contact our Customer Services team for advice on how to generate your order.
You cannot currently order HESS items through your Library Management System. All orders need to be placed via our ARTEmail or ARTTEL service.
No. You can order as many or as few documents covered by your license as you need through this service.
Your PDF ® document will be loaded on to a British Library server and you will be sent an email (containing a link to your specific order) informing you that your document is ready to be downloaded. Your document will be available for download for 14 days before being deleted from the server.
A document ordered via our standard service (£8.95) will be delivered within 2-5 days of your order. However, over the past 12 months over 90% of standard service orders have been delivered within 48 hours. Two premium services are also available that guarantee a response within 2 hours (£25) and 24 hours (£16).
Your document will be delivered as an Image PDF ® and will be readable on any supported version of Adobe Acrobat Reader.
Cover sheets are not included with this service. However, your PDF file will be unlocked, allowing you to add your own.
No. Your file will be delivered as a standard image PDF and once you have downloaded it you will be able to use it locally for as long as you are permitted under the terms of your CLA HE Photocopying and Trial Scanning Licence.
Yes you do. Every institution ordering materials through this service are obligated to record them on the Digital Copy Record Form.
No. When you receive your document the covering email will confirm whether a copyright fee has been paid or not.