British Library – copyright-fee-paid document supply
The British Library provides copyright-fee-paid document supply services to UK Higher Education Institutions under Licence from both the Copyright Licensing Agency and publishers directly. The British Library has direct agreements with a number of publishers that allow it to provide both scanned and born-digital documents without encryption to all HEIs that hold a CLA Higher Education Licence.
This complements the British Library’s HE Scanning Service (HESS), which is licensed by the CLA and which permits the British Library to provide scanned copies without encryption to HEIs for use on their VLEs.
We are delighted to confirm that, as all HEIs now hold the new single CLA Higher Education Licence, HEIs may request copyright fee paid copies of articles and book chapters not held in their collection for use on their VLEs. The British Library HESS service can also be used to outsource the scanning of items held in your own library for adding to Reading Lists and VLEs.
Now it is easy for holders of a CLA Higher Education Licence to order materials for course packs from the British Library with our new Higher Education Scanning Service (HESS).
- No subscription fees –registration is free and you can order as much or as little material as you wish.
- No administration fees – a service charge and VAT is payable on all orders, and a publisher-specified copyright fee is payable if you do not hold the item in your library. That's it.
- Charge everything to your document supply account – there is no need to open a new British Library account to use HESS. You can charge standard document supply and course pack materials to the same account.
- Order collection and non-collection items – you can order all materials covered by your licence from us. You can check on the CLA’s website that the articles/chapters you require are covered by the CLA’s digital rights repertoire and/or the HE rights repertoire. Please note that a publisher-specified copyright fee is payable on items that you don't own in your library.
- To register for this service, please contact our Customer Services team.
* please also note that we are unable to supply content from a small number of publishers through this service. For a list of this content, please view out ‘Excluded Content List' in PDF format from the panel on the right hand side of the page.
View our frequently asked questions on the Higher Education scanning service.