Back for its second brain-teasing year, our Christmas event in the TalkScience series, 'Let's Get Quizzical' was a fun science-themed quiz with a festive flavour. The event gave all who attended the chance to engage their competitive spirits and pit their wits against fellow science geeks for the chance to win our coveted Champions Trophy!
Allan Sudlow, the STM team Relationships Manager, once again performed Quiz Master duties for the evening. The quiz had six question rounds, each themed to cover a different type of science trivia:
• Let's Get Topical: Questions on the year's biggest Science news
• Let's Get Hairy: A pogonophobe's nightmare: Identifying owners of science's famous facial topiary
• Let's Get Noisy!: Animal sounds from the British Library's sound archive featured here, from haddock to nervous-sounding turkeys
• Let's Get Biological: Biological questions on Santa's beard to his favourite tipple (holly tea of course!)
• Where's Willetts?: With photo(shop-a)graphic evidence of David Willetts on his travels, could teams work out where he'd been?
• Let's get Connected: A round lovingly inspired by BBC's Only Connect - a sci-fi themed wall of connections.
During the interval, we ran a Spot-the-Higgs-Boson competition, where there was not a Nobel Prize, but a musical prize on offer - a CD from the evening's excellent musical interlude, Dr Martin Austwick. When he’s not playing social physicist, he is making music as Sound of the Ladies (find out where you can hear him for yourself by following him on Twitter @sociablephysics).
The competition for the top spot was very close-run again this year, but Katrina and the Wave Functions were the team who came out on top to win the coveted TalkScience Champs 2011 trophy. The question is, who will win in 2012?
We would like to thank Dr Martin Austwick and the Society of Biology for providing prizes.
You can see more photos from the event on our Facebook page.