Back for its third brain-teasing year, our Christmas event in the TalkScience series, 'Let's Get Quizzical' was a fun science-themed quiz with a festive flavour. The event gave all who attended the chance to engage their competitive spirits and pit their wits against fellow science geeks for the chance to win our coveted Champions Trophy!
Allan Sudlow, the STM team Relationships Manager, once again performed Quiz Master duties for the evening. The quiz had six question rounds, each themed to cover a different type of science trivia:
• Let's Get Topical: I missing words round on the year's biggest Science news
• Let's Get Visual: Teasers on patterns, formulae and visualisations
• Let's Get Noisy!: Animal sounds from the British Library's sound archive featured here, from lions to skylarks
• Let's Get Christmassy: All things to do with the science of Christmas
• Let's Get Tech: A round about the technology and gadgets that made the news this year
• Hunt for the Higgs: Peter Higgs had a jubilant 2012, and we have photo(shop)graphic evidence of his celebrations in all sorts of places - you just had to work out where
We also had a turn from the Badger Parade, and some dubiously named journals both real and fake. As well as the super-high-tech Spot-Curiosity competition, where the rover needed locating through the power of post-it notes.
There was only half a point in it come the interval, but Quantitative Teasing had a late surge to win the coveted TalkScience Champs 2013 trophy. The question is, who will win in 2013?