This is a listing of websites on Italy and Italian culture. It includes sections on the country's central and regional government, its libraries, museums and other cultural institutions, and provides access to online newspapers and and public access catalogues.
Academies & research institutes | Art | Books & bookstores | Cinema | Cities | Cultural organisations | Culture | Dictionaries | Directories | Discussion lists | Exhibitions | General | Government & administration | History | Libraries | Literature | Magazines | Museums | Newspapers | On-line public access catalogues | Periodicals | Publishers & publishing | Search engines | Societies | Statistics | Travel | Universities
Academies and research institutes
- Accademia della Crusca
- L'Accademia di Francia alla Villa Medici
- American Academy in Rome
- The British School at Rome
- École française de Rome
- Consiglio Nazionale delle Ricerche - information on the structure of the organization, its areas of interests, and its activities.
- BOL Italia
- La città del libro
- Giangiacomo Feltrinelli Editore
- Internet Bookshop Italia
- LibroCo Italia: il libro d'arte
- Fondazione Fellini
- Luchino Visconti
- Pier Paolo Pasolini - a virtual archive - in texts and images - of Pasolini's work. It includes numerous links to other sites.
- Thais -Italian Cities (Rome, Florence, Como).
- Istituto Centrale per il Catalogo Unico delle Biblioteche Italiane e per le Informazioni Bibliografiche- ICCU - the Central Institute for the Union Catalogue of Italian Libraries and for Bibliographic Information.
- Istituzioni culturali - research institutes and foundations in Italy, searchable by region or city.
- Italian Cultural Institute - the official Italian government agency for the promotion of cultural exchanges between Great Britain and Italy. Contains information about events, language courses, membership, library.
- Ministero per I Beni e le Attività Culturali
- Cultural Web - Quotidiano d'informazione del Ministero per i Beni e le Attività Culturali
- Medioevo Italiano - it covers all aspects of Italian history and culture in the Middle Ages. Includes Rassegna storica (an online review), discussion lists, and news.
- Pagine bianche on line - telephone directory (personal numbers).
- Pagine gialle - products, services, brands, hotels.
- Italian-studies - an international mailing-list for Italianists, created in December 1996 by George Ferzoco (University of Leicester) and Otfried Lieberknecht (Berlin), based technically at the University of Newcastle and sponsored by the University of Exeter, the University of Leicester and the Society for Italian Studies. An Italian-Studies Booklist is distributed monthly to the members of Italian-Studies as a service to inform about publications of, or announced as being forthcoming in, the current year.'
- Camera dei Deputati - Provides the texts of the sessions of the Chamber, legislative drafts, Committee business, information about the composition of the Chamber, its activities, its relationship with the Government, its international activities and its relations with the European Union. It also includes lists of all the post-WW2 governments of Italy.
- Governo italiano - the official site of the Italian Government. Includes information about the structure and functions of the Government, the role of the President of the Republic, the Council of Ministers, press releases, a newsletter, the text of the Italian Constitution, national and international links, etc.
- Istituto Poligrafico e Zecca dello Stato - the products and services of the Institute in charge of the printing and sale of Italian official publications. Includes summaries of the latest issues of the Official Gazette.
- Provincia autonoma di Bolzano
- Provincia autonoma di Trento
- Regione Abruzzo
- Regione Basilicata
- Regione Calabria
- Regione Emilia-Romagna
- Regione Lazio
- Regione Liguria
- Regione Lombardia
- Regione Marche
- Regione Molise
- Regione Piemonte
- Regione Sardegna
- Regione Siciliana
- Regione Toscana
- Regione autonoma Trentino-Alto Adige
- Regione Umbria
- Regione autonoma della Valle d'Aosta
- Regione del Veneto
- Rete telematica delle Province Italiane (UPITEL) - the telematic network of the Italian Provinces.
- Senato - the official site of the Italian Senate. Includes laws and decrees of the 8th-13th legislatures.
- Unione province d'Italia (UPI)- the website of the Italian local authorities.
- H-Italy - an international forum for the discussion of Italian history and culture. It also includes information on Italian art & architecture, history, museums and galleries.
- History of Italy -Primary documents
- I Normanni nel Sud - history of the Normans in Italy
- AIB-Web - the website of the Associazione Italiana Biblioteche.
- Biblioteca Ambrosiana
- Biblioteca Hertziana
- Biblioteche pubbliche statali - information on all state libraries including individual library websites where available.
- Biblioteche SBN (Servizio bibliotecario nazionale)
- Biblioteca nazionale centrale di Roma
- Biblioteca nazionale Marciana
- Electronic Bulletin of the Dante Society of America
- Dante Studies by Otfried Lieberknecht - includes Dante resources on line (including e-texts of Dante's works, translations, bibliographies, exhibitions, Dante's reception in music), Italian studies, Medieval religion.
- Decameron web A hypermedia archive dedicated to Boccaccio's work. It has sections on Boccaccio and his work, the text of the Decameron in Italian (based on V.Branca's 1992 Einaudi edition) and in English (the 1921 translation by J.M.Rigg), its themes and motifs, maps and geography, and also studies on contemporary society, religion, literature, and art.
- Duecento: la poesia italiana dalle origini a Dante - a collection of 13th-century Italian poetry texts. Includes a full critical apparatus, an anthology of literary criticism, a range of search options, and numerous links.
- Lectura Dantis online - full texts and/or abstracts of the articles in this journal, which has been published by the University of Virginia since 1987.
- Petrarch at 70 - An exhibition of books and manuscripts from the collections of Cornell University Library and the University of Pennsylvania Library.
- Portfolioitalia - a weekly magazine. It has daily 'portfolio' sections about Piedmont and North Eastern Italy.
- Riviste dedicate alla letteratura - a selection of online literary reviews.
- Accademia Carrara - includes an online catalogue of the paintings in the museum of the Academy.
- Casa Buonarroti
- Galleria degli Uffizi - includes useful information (opening hours, advance reservations, exhibitions etc), map and description of the gallery, alphabetical index of artists and index of paintings by region, the history of the Uffizi and a description of the buildings. Some works are illustrated.
- Galleria Doria Pamphilj
- Galleria Nazionale d'Arte Antica di Palazzo Barberini
- Galleria Nazionale d'Arte Antica di Palazzo Corsini
- Galleria Spada
- Musei Civici Veneziani - include Palazzo Ducale, Museo Correr, Museo Fortuny, Ca' Rezzonico, Ca' Pesaro, Casa di Goldoni, Museo del Vetro di Murano.
- Musei e mostre (Milan)
- Museo archeologico nazionale di Napoli (National Archaeological Museum of Naples) - includes information on exhibitions and the permanent collections of the museum.
- Museo Bagatti Valsecchi
- Museo di Capodimonte
- Museo e Galleria Borghese
- Museo nazionale del Bargello
- Museums and Galleries in Rome
- Museums in Italy
- Peggy Guggenheim Collection
- Pinacoteca di Brera
- Polo museale fiorentino
- Polo museale veneziano
- Corriere della Sera
- La Gazzetta dello sport
- Il Mattino
- Il Messaggero
- Online newspapers: Italy newspapers
- La Repubblica
- Il Sole 24 Ore
- La Stampa
- Biblioteca Nazionale Centrale di Roma (Polo BVE) - post-1988 accessions as well as part of the library's 16th and 17th-century holdings. It also includes post-1998 accessions in the Biblioteca di Archeologia e Storia dell'Arte.
- EDIT 16 Censimento delle edizioni italiane del XVI secolo The Census of Italian 16th Century Editions EDIT 16 includes editions printed in Italy between 1501 and 1600, in any language, and editions printed abroad in Italian.
- OPAC italiani - online catalogues of Italian libraries, catalogues of periodicals and CD Roms.
- Polo museale fiorentino: archivi digitali - includes Inventories of Works of Art in the Uffizi and other museums and collections in Florence, Prato and Pistoia, and Catalogues of works of art.
- Servizio Bibliotecario Nazionale (SBN) - a network of Italian libraries including 800 State, Regional, and University libraries contributing to the creation of the on-line collective national catalogue run by ICCU.
- URBS (Unione Romana Bibibliteche Scientifiche) Online Public Access Union Catalogue - Publications (books and serials) in the holdings of the URBS network of Research Libraries in Rome. The specialist collections include works on archaeology, history, history of art and architecture, philology, church history, law and social sciences. The catalogue also includes other collections of rare printed books, original photographs and musical scores.
- Annali d'italianistica - published by the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill since 1983. This site includes a table of contents of all issues of the journal.
- Catalogo italiano dei periodici
- Editrice bibliografica
- Elenco alfabetico degli Editori Italiani (The list of Italian Publishers)
- Italia On Line (Arianna) -includes sections on art and culture, leisure activities, computers, politics, health, travel, sport.
- Istituto Nazionale di Statistica (ISTAT) - includes full texts of publications of ISTAT (Italia in cifre 2000/Italy in figures 2000), and information about other publications of the Institute (Annuario statistico italiano ietc) as well as links to sites of other national and international research institutes and government sites.
- Pontificia università gregoriana
- Università degli studi di Bologna
- Università degli studi di Milano
- Università degli studi di Roma 'La Sapienza'
The British Library
96 Euston Road
Tel: +44 (0)7412 7573 / 7531 / 7696
Fax: +44 (0)20 7412 7784