Selected resources on early printed Bibles from western Europe.
'Rennie's Bible and Book Van'. From: Seed-time and harvest: autobiography of J. Rennie, colporteur, ed. T. Bowick (London, 1902). © The British Library Board
Where applicable, British Library shelfmarks are given in square brackets:
- Le Bibbie italiane del Quattrocentro e del Cinquecento: storia e bibliografia ragionata delle edizioni in lingua italiana dal 1471 al 1600, Edoardo Barbieri (Milan: Editrice Bibliografica, 1992) [YA.2000.b.138].
- The Bible in English: its history and influence, by David Daniell (New Haven, London: Yale University Press, 2003) [HLR 220.52; YC.2005.a.6904].
- Bibles imprimées du XVe au XVIIIe siècle conservées à Paris: catalogue collectif, édité par Martine Delaveau et Denise Hillard (Paris: Bibliothèque Nationale de France, 2002) [RAR 220.5].
- The British Library general catalogue of printed books to 1975 (360 vols. London: Clive Bingley, KG Saur, 1979). Structured entries for 'Bible' in vols 28-31 [sets in many British Library reading rooms].
- The Cambridge history of the Bible (3 vol. Cambridge: University Press, 1963-1970) [HLR 220.09; MSS 220.09; X.0100/4 (1-3)].
- Catalogue of books printed in the XVth century now in the British Museum (Library) (London, etc.: BM/BL, etc., 1908-2006; plus reprints) [RAR 093.016 ENG].
- Cheap Bibles: nineteenth century publishing and the British and Foreign Bible Society, by Leslie Howsan (Cambridge: University Press, 1991) [2708.e.1951; 92/15082 DSC].
- 'English Short Title Catalogue', British Library web catalogue.
- 'Incunabula Short Title Catalogue', British Library web catalogue [under development].
- Historical catalogue of printed editions of the English Bible, 1525-1961, revised and expanded from the edition of TH Darlow and HF Moule, 1903, by AS Herbert (London: British & Foreign Bible Society; New York: American Bible Society, 1968) [RAR 220.52; HLR 220.52; etc.].
- Historical catalogue of the printed editions of Holy Scripture in the library of the British and Foreign Bible Society, compiled by TH Darlow & HF Moule. Vol. 2: 'Polyglots and languages other than English' (3 pts. London: British & Foreign Bible Society, 1911) [RAR 220.5; HLR 220.4; etc.].
- The Making of the English Bible, Gerald Hammond (Manchester: Carcanet, 1982; plus other editions) [YC.1989.a.5109; X.200/39838; 82/26703].
- De Nederlandse Bijbelvertalingen 1522-1545 = Dutch translations of the Bible 1522-1545, A.A. den Hollander (Nieuwkoop: De Graaf, 1997) [2745.a.3/33].
This guide was compiled by the Early Printed Collections curatorial team at the British Library. For further information about early Bibles in the British Library, please contact:
Early Printed Collections
The British Library
96 Euston Road
Tel: +44 (0)20 7412 7564
Fax: +44 (0)20 7412 7691