The Portal is a new destination for research and information on the voluntary, community and social enterprise sectors in the UK and internationally. It was developed by the Third Sector Research Centre (TSRC) in collaboration with the British Library and offers free access to a collection of research resources in areas such as commissioning, social and economic impact, equality and diversity, volunteering and giving, social enterprise, etc. The Portal will seek to build a dynamic and topical collection of relevance to anyone working in, for, or with the third sector in the UK and beyond.
What is in the portal?
The portal will offer works exploring current policy, research and practice relating to the sector and its historical development, both print and online. Content will include:
- TSRC’s own library of research and analysis.
- Research reports and working papers produced within the sector and in academic research centres nationally, locally and internationally. Links will be provided to downloadable full text either on the internet or hosted in TSRC’s own secure server.
- Government policy and research publications and consultations, covering the Welsh, Scottish and Northern Ireland governments as well as the UK. Links will be provided to downloadable full text either on the Internet or hosted in TSRC’s own secure server.
- Abstracts of books, book chapters and academic journal articles. Links will be provided to the publishers’ websites, but users unaffiliated to a UK Higher Education Institution will have to pay to access the full text.
- Descriptions of archival resources on the history of voluntary action, with links to repository websites to facilitate access.
- Guidance and training materials.
How can you search the portal?
You can search the portal for authors, titles and subjects. All material is indexed using a custom-built thesaurus developed at the British Library. The Thesaurus enables the Portal to suggest other searches you could try for related subjects.
Search the portal at: https://cssfs10.bham.ac.uk/heritage/
How can you access print-only works?
Books and other hard copy materials are included in the Portal. Direct links to the British Library catalogue can be used to request material on inter-library loan or to arrange delivery for consultation in the British Library’s reading rooms at St Pancras. Please note that you can only request delivery of an item to a reading room if you are a British Library passholder. More information on how to register is available at: /reshelp/inrrooms/stp/register/stpregister.html
Search the portal at https://cssfs10.bham.ac.uk/heritage/
Help the Portal to Grow
We want to make this resource as comprehensive as possible, so please let us know if you publish relevant material and would like us to include it. The Portal can help to maintain collections at risk due to funding cuts, and enable your research to reach a wider audience.
For more information contact:
Knowledge Portal Manager
Third Sector Research Centre
Tel: 0121 4143012