Major changes have been introduced to the way you gain access to the Reading Room.
You must have registered and been issued with a British Library Reader Pass (a photo-pass)to use the Boston Spa Reading Room.
You should note that:
- The British Library is very different from public and university libraries.
- Other libraries or sources may be more appropriate to your research and staff may refer you elsewhere.
- We do not routinely issue a Reader Pass to anyone under the age of 18.
- We issue a pass subject to your need to see specific items in our collections. Before you register, you should search our catalogue, Explore the British Library to confirm we have the material you require; and bring these details with you when you register.
- We will need to see proof of your identity and proof of your address.
- Whilst you can register in person, we strongly recommend that you pre-register for a full British Library Reader Pass.
- You can pre-register online now; you complete your registration by coming to the Boston Spa Reception.
The benefit of pre-registering online is that you can request items in advance,before you complete the registration process. NB: All items have to be ordered online, using Explore the British Library and will take a minimum of 48 hours for delivery.
If you do not want to pre-register online you can register in person at the Boston Spa Reading Room. However, if you choose to register in person you will not be able to request items to the reading room for delivery on that day.
When you complete your registration you will be given a Reader Pass. Passes are valid for a period of between one month and three years, depending on your needs and are issued subject to the Library's Conditions of Use.
Readers with disabilities who may need additional support should contact us.
To apply for a Reader Pass for the first time:
The British Library,
Tel: +44(0)1937 546060; Fax: +44(0)1937 546333