To register for a Reader Pass either:
- Pre-register online, as long as you are aged 18 or over; special arrangements apply if you are under 18.
NB: Pre-register online only if applying for the first time. You cannot renew an expired pass, or replace a lost or stolen pass, online. You must do this in person at the Reader Registration Office.
- Register in person at the Reader Registration Office.
- Click the ‘Pre-Register for a Reader Pass’ button below.
- Come to the Reader Registration Office, with the documentation required, to complete your registration.
NB: You should complete your registration within 3 months of pre-registration as you can only pre-register once. If you fail to complete the process within 3 months you will have to register in person at the Reader Registration Office.
The benefits to pre-registration are that you can reserve items in the Reading Rooms for your first visit and it saves you time when you arrive.
Come to the Reader Registration Office, with the documentation required, to complete a PC-based application form.
You will not be able to reserve books prior to your first visit and the registration process will take longer when you arrive.
NB: You should register in person if you need to renew an expired pass or replace a lost or stolen pass.
Whether you pre-register or not, when you come to the Reader Registration Office you must bring with you:
- Personal identification and proof of address
- Full details of the items you need to see. Where possible you should provide specific references, including shelfmarks, from our catalogues.
- Anything which supports your application, e.g. a business card, student card or professional membership card.
Whether you apply online or in person, our registration staff will have an introductory discussion with you about your need to use our collections. They may suggest other, more appropriate libraries or sources for your research.
Passes are valid for a period of between one month and three years, depending on your needs and are issued subject to the Library's Conditions of Use.
Readers with disabilities who may need additional support should contact us.
NB: If you only wish to use our Newspaper Collection you can register for a Newspaper Reader Pass at British Library Newspapers, Colindale, North London.
If you have ever had a Reader Pass before:
If you are applying for a Reader Pass for the first time:
The British Library
96 Euston Road
Tel: +44 (0)20 7412 7676
Fax: +44 (0)20 7412 7794