TOWARDS A NEW WELFARE STATE: THE SOCIAL SUSTAINABILITY PRINCIPLE AND HEALTH
J. Garcés, F. Kódenas and V. Sanjosé
Health Policy, Vol. 65, 2003, p.201-215
Proposes reforms to Mediterranean welfare states in the face of population
ageing, decreases in the availability of informal support and increases in dependency.
The paper specifically suggests:
- unification of health and social care
- development of at-home health care resources
- encouraging family participation in care through financial and in-kind re-numeration
- encouraging insurance to cover the costs of long term care
- promoting private sector supply of care services
- developing a new legal framework for dependent persons' rights and responsibilities.