Funding agreement and other incomeOur current management funding agreement with DCMS.
In addition to Grant in Aid, the Library also generates income from individual and corporate donations, charitable activities, and investment. Further details can be found in our Annual Reports.
Financial statements, budgets and variance reports
A summary of our 2018-19 financial budget (PDF format) and spending.
Information on contracts and expenditure
Full details of all contracts of a value over £10,000 entered into by the British Library from January 2011 (or July 2010 for IT contracts).
All supplier payments for individual invoices exceeding £25,000 and paid after 1 April 2010. This information will be updated monthly on or before the 15th working day of the following month.
All Government Procurement Card expenditure over £500 for calendar years 2017 (Excel format), 2016 (Excel format), and 2015 (Excel format). This information will be published annually during the month of January.
Percentage of invoices paid (Excel format) within 5 days / 30 days as required by the Public Contract Regulations 2015. This information will be published quarterly.
Forward plans for purchasing exhibits and the forward exhibitions programme
Through to 2023 we will be making changes to how we spend our acquisitions budgets for contemporary content. We will continue to maintain our collections of unique Heritage material through a mix of Grant-In-Aid, donations and grants. We are conducting a strategic review which aims to ensure that our contemporary collections continue to be developed in ways that reflect user needs, changes in publishing and technology, while providing the best value for money within a limited budget. We plan to improve the services that we offer to researchers by working with publishers to develop more flexible and cost effective access routes to content and by improving discovery of open access material.
In 2019/20 the library budgeted £12.08m for acquisitions.
In 2018/19 the library budgeted £11.9m for acquisitions.
In 2017/18 the library budgeted £12.92m for acquisitions.
In 2016/17 the Library budgeted £13.4m for acquisitions.
Full details of the Library's upcoming Exhibitions programme (Word format) can be found on our website.
A list of major heritage acquisitions made by the Library 2015-2018 (Word format).
Details of our capital spending is included in the financial summaries found under the Financial Statements, Budgets and Variance reports section above.
Our Spending Review letters from DCMS covering the period 2015-2020:
- 2015 (PDF format), covering financial years 2016/17-2019/20
- 2014 (PDF format), covering financial years 2014/15-2015/16
- 2013 (PDF format), covering financial years 2015/16
Grants and donations
Details of grants and donations over £100,000 (Excel format) received by the Library since 2012.If you'd like to make a donation to The Library, there are several ways you can do this:
Financial audit reports
The Certificate of the Comptroller and Auditor General to the Houses of Parliament and the Scottish Parliament can be found on page 63 of our Annual Report (PDF format).
Staff and Board Members' allowances and expenses
Expenses that can be claimed by staff are detailed in the Library's Travel & Subsistence Policy (PDF format).
Board members are reimbursed for reasonable travelling expenses and accommodation only, on the following basis:
- Travel Expenses - Travel expenses may not exceed the cost of a standard rail fare or bus fare from your normal place of residence (or from the place of landing in the United Kingdom if you are coming from abroad) to the British Library site visited. Special priced tickets should be used where possible in preference to the standard return fare. Expenses incurred in travel to this country from abroad are recoverable from the British Library for standard fares.
- Accommodation Allowance - If you live within reasonable distance of the Library site visited you will be expected to travel there and back on the same day. If you do not live within reasonable travelling distance, an overnight allowance will be paid. Receipts must be provided. If you stay overnight with a relative or friend you will only be entitled to half of the overnight allowance.
Pay and grading structures
The Library's Gender Pay Gap Statements under the Gender Pay Gap Information Regulations 2017:
The Trade Union (Facility Time Publication Requirements) Regulations 2017 require the following information to be published:
- Number of employees who were relevant union officials during 2017/18 (by headcount): 36
- Number of employees who were relevant union officials during 2017/18 (full time equivalent): 34.7
- All 36 of these employees spent less than 50% of their working hours on facility time
- Total cost of Facility Time: £54,900.40
- Total Pay Bill: £57,947,803
- Percentage of Total Pay Bill spent on Facility Time: 0.09%
- Percentage of total paid facility time spent by relevant employees on paid trade union activities: 73%
The Library's Apprenticeship Target Statements under the Public Sector Apprenticeships Targets Regulations 2017:
Procurement and tendering procedures
Information about our procurement and tendering process can be found on our dedicated e-tendering website.
Past tender documents (as opposed to live opportunities), as well as documents relating to other types of tender (e.g. single tender, framework agreements), can be found on the Contracts Finder website.
Financial statements for projects and events
Financial details of our major projects during the last financial year (Excel format).
At this time the Library does not track detailed budget and expenditure for individual events.
Internal financial regulations
The Library's internal Financial Code (PDF format).