Policies and procedures for the conduct of businessThe Code of Practice (PDF format) for members of the British Library Board.
The Library's Risk Management Policy.
The Library's Responsible Procurement Policy (PDF format).
Our environmental performance statistics can be found in the Sustainability Report section of our Annual Reports.
Policies and procedures for the provision of services
Policy on donations of Collection material: The British Library welcomes offers of donations for its collections, in digital and physical form. All offers are assessed according to how well a potential donation would fit with our collecting approach, as well as other factors like the costs of processing, conservation and long-term storage. Occasionally this will mean that the Library declines offers of material that it does not hold. Ideally, potential donors should consult our catalogues first, as this will reduce the chances of offering the Library items already in the collections. Please contact email@example.com before sending any material to the Library, giving details of the items you would like to donate, a description of their physical condition, and a statement making it clear that you own them. You can also use this email address for other queries related to potential donations. Donations may not be accepted if you wish to place any restrictions on their use or disposal. It is Library policy that donations are integrated into the existing collections, and are subject to the same conditions of use as those collections, including retention, location, use and disposal. Items that are deemed not suitable for inclusion in the collection are not kept by the Library. Please note: if you are a UK or Irish publisher, including small presses and self-publishers, your publications are not counted as 'donations' but as 'legal deposit'.
The Library's Conservation Policy (Word format).
The Library's Digitisation Strategy.
The Library's Deaccessioning Policy (PDF format).
Items in the Library's Collections are generally available to all of the British library's Readers, subject to certain restrictions for conservation, security, privacy or legal reasons as outlined in our Conditions of Use. Our website provides information about how to become a Reader.
The Library's policy on Loans to Other Institutions for Exhibition.
Policies and procedures for the recruitment and employment of staff
The Library's Staff Handbook and People Policies contain the terms and conditions of service which apply to British Library employees. The People Policies replace sections of the Staff Handbook that have become out of date or overtaken by changes to employment law:
- Section A (PDF format) - Introduction
- Section B (word format)- Appointment of Staff & Conditions of Employment
- Section C (word format) - Pay
- Section E (PDF format) - Hours of Attendance
- Section F (PDF format) - Leave & Holidays
- Section G (PDF format) - Sick Leave & Sick Pay
- Section H (word format) - Parental Leave & Pay
- Section N (PDF format) - Industrial Relations Framework
- Section P (PDF format) - General
- Capability & Inefficiency Policy (PDF format)
- Career Development Policy (PDF format)
- Conduct at Work Policy (PDF format)
- Disciplinary Policy (PDF format)
- Domestic Abuse Policy (PDF format)
- Flexible Working Hours Policy (PDF format)
- Grievance Policy (PDF format)
- Harassment and Bullying Policy (PDF format)
- Learning & Development Policy (PDF format)
- Management of Occupational Stress Policy (PDF format)
- Managing Attendance Policy (PDF format)
- Personal Use of Collections Policy (PDF format)
- Prevention & Management of Abuse Towards Staff Policy (PDF format)
- Probation Policy (PDF format)
- Reasonable Adjustment Policy (PDF format)
- Relocation Policy (PDF format)
- Restructure, Redeployment & Redundancy Policy (PDF format)
- Retirement Policy (PDF format)
- Right to Request Flexible Working Policy (PDF format)
- Safeguarding Children & Young People Policy (PDF format)
- Secondment Policy (PDF format)
- Smoking Policy (PDF format)
- Substance Abuse Policy (PDF format)
- Whistleblowing Policy
The Library's Code of Service. If you wish to make a complaint about the Library's service then please follow our Complaints Management Process to ensure that the appropriate member of staff can address your concerns as quickly as quickly as possible.
Records management and personal data policies
The Library's Records Management Policy (PDF format), Records Management Manual (PDF format), Corporate Archive Access Policy (PDF format), and Corporate Archive Collection Development Policy (PDF format).
The Library's Freedom of Information Policy.
Charging regimes and policies
Our Pricing Policy.
Publications for the purposes of Part 6 of the Tribunals, Courts and Enforcement Act 2007
A list of notices for the purpose of Part 6 of the Tribunals, Courts, and Enforcement Act 2007.
Statement for the Purpose of s54 of the Modern Slavery Act 2015
A statement for the purpose of s54 of the Modern Slavery Act 2015.
Statement for the Purpose of s7 of the Public Sector Bodies (Website and Mobile Application) Accessibility Act 2018
A statement for the purpose of s7 of the Public Sector Bodies Accessibility Act 2018