The Z39.50 MARC 21 service is available on an authenticated (i.e. password protected) basis to libraries wishing to use British Library MARC21 records for non-commercial purposes.
In order to register for the service you must confirm that you will comply with the following conditions of access:
All usage of the British Library’s system by the registered institution (including searches and record downloads) will be solely for non commercial purposes and support standard information science and library activities. Examples include:
- Resource discovery
- Learning, teaching, academic and scientific research or private study
- Cataloguing or acquisition
- Provision of information solely about the registered library’s holdings for inclusion in a union catalogue or library inter-lending database
- Verification of bibliographic information and/or identification of materials for order via interlibrary loan, from document vendors or from other sources from which materials identified may be purchased or otherwise acquired
- Commercial re-supply, sublicensing or circulation to third parties
- Transmission or redistribution to commercial organisations
- Sharing of user ids/passwords with other institutions
- Denial of service or hacking attacks
- Service degradation to other users caused by attempts to download the entire database
If you can confirm that these terms and conditions are acceptable in writing by email we will create a user account for your institution, supply the required technical access details and confirm your access to the service.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for further information.